glimpses from kritsnie's world

Sometimes when I write my name in a rush, my fingers end up with “kritsnie”. This is a blog for muddled up words and worlds, for random thoughts and persistent search for constructive confusion. nb! The views contained herein are personal and do not necessarily reflect those of my current or former employers.

Friday, December 14, 2007

corruption free zone

I come to the Department of Immigration in Kathmandu to renew my visa. As I enter through the monumental gate a big sign catches my attention: WELCOME TO A CORRUPTION FREE ZONE

I smile, inwardly congratulating the Department of Immigration on their efforts, and walk the 50 meters to the entrance door.

The first person to meet me in the door takes a look at my papers. “You want two months stay?” he asks. “If possible,” I answer, knowing full well that the general rule is 1 month at a time. “I can fix that,” he says, “you just pay a little extra.” “A little extra?” I say. “You know,” he answers, “the visa fee, plus then a little extra,” gesturing with his hands to show money paid under a table.

Ha!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home